Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Iowa State Fair

Last week we took a road trip to Des Moines.
First stop--DES Moines Science Center to view the Body Worlds exhibit. I've wanted to see it for a long time, so I was thrilled to be able to go. Body Worlds is a traveling exhibition of preserved human bodies and body parts that are prepared using a technique called plastination to reveal inner anatomical structures. SO COOL! I'd love to show you a picture, but I couldn't get one to copy. Google it for more info and pics.

Next stop--Iowa State Fair. My highlight of the fair is trying a new food. This year it was red velvet funnel cake.



YUM! I'll be having one again next year!



A strawberry smoothies is a must!
And a pork chop on a stick was so delicious I gobbled it down without a picture.

I spent a lot of time looking at the quilts while Bud did his thing.
It's hard to understand why some quilts get the ribbons they are awarded. I'd like to know what the judges were thinking.



These are t-shirt quilts like I've put off making for my kids. I've really got to get those done!


Some quilts were very "artsy". What a lot of work!


Love the candy corn quilt!


To end our day we saw a fantastic concert by The Oak Ridge Boys!



They performed for almost two hours on a free stage. We last saw them in Cedar Rapids at their Christmas Concert, but we used to see them on the grandstand back in the 80s. They were as good as ever!

There's nothing like the Iowa Stat Fair!
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: